Saturday, May 8, 2010

The beginning

Back in 2008 I happened upon Expert F# while browsing my local book store.  Having a background in mathematics, I was enticed by the Introduction which pitched F# as a programming language close in expression to what mathematicians are accustomed.  I purchased the book and read it in large part while also following the language on the web.  In this first pass I mostly absorbed the concepts of functional programming but didn't practice much with the language itself.  However, in the intervening years I've been applying a lot of the functional concepts I learned to my day work in C#.  Now, with the release of F# version 2.0, I've found renewed interest and have determined to become experienced with the language itself.  The mathematical nature of the problems in Project Euler make it a particularly well-suited set of challenges for becoming familiar with F#.  While it's been done, here I will document my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment